Thursday, February 7, 2013

Homer the Library Cat by Reeve Lindbergh

 Homer the Library Cat by Reeve Lindbergh, illustrated by Anne Wilsdorf

Rating: 4 stars

As a person who loves to escape into the pages of a book, I always like books where characters escape to the library.  Sometimes mice live there, sometimes boys are raised by librarians, sometimes cats are searching for their quiet person in a quiet place.  (That's Homer the cat, in case you didn't figure it out!)

Homer is a cat content with his quiet, peaceful life--playing with yarn and feathers, looking out the window at the birds, sitting with his quiet lady while she reads.  Then one day he falls out the window!  The noises begin--banging trash cans, sneezing kids, weeee-ooohing sirens, clanging trains.  Can't a cat catch a break?!  Finally he pads across a quiet building, across a quiet floor.  He enters a library.
He heard a quiet voice he knew.
He saw a rocking chair.
There was the quiet lady!
And children everywhere. 
"Homer!" said the lady.
"What are you doing here?"
Homer jumped into her arms
And purred into her ear. 
They boys and girls loved Homer.
Homer loved them back.
He slept right through the stories
But woke up for the snack.

I didn't expect to like this book as much as I did--the sweet rhyme and friendly illustrations won me over.  And, after finishing the last stanza and closing it while reading it to Ben the other day, he asked me: "Will you read it again please?"  You know I will.  So we opened it up and read it all over again.


P.S.  For some unknown silly reason, Lorelei dared me to sing this book, not just read it, a few days after I posted this.  Always one to accept a dare, I did it.  And it not only worked but was fun and funny!  I will have to try that again sometime, though I will for sure do it only when I'm the only adult in the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment