Rating: 5 stars
I don't need to say who loves this book. Yup, that's right, our construction-worker-wanna-be, Ben. And we found this book while Ben and I were at the library last week. Ben was spending some quality time jumping into the bean bag chairs, which are located right next to the very end of the alphabet of children's book authors. But what a great discovery we made with Andrea Zimmerman, and her husband David Clemesha! They have three sons, so their books are pretty wonderful for boys.
This book is so great. It has all the different Ben components that, together, make it perfect for him, at 22-ish months:
- It has a backhoe on every single page! Oh happy day!
- He has a cute dog, Lightning, who also likes to dig.
- The main character, Mr. Rally, wears a construction hat just like Ben wears!
- Mr. Rally does five different jobs, and at the end of each job, the text asks, "Is the digging done?" And Ben gets to shake his head as violently as possible and say, "NOOO!" Except for the last one, when he gets to say, "Yesh!" in that very-Ben way.
- The last job Mr. Rally does is at the zoo, which we just went to yesterday. That made the evening's reading of this book all the more exciting.