Monday, September 13, 2010

Posy by Linda Newbery

Posy by Linda Newbery, illustrated by Catherine Rayner

Rating: 2.5 stars

In an effort to not throw my own biases on my kids, I got Posy from the library last week.  I am trying to like it, to be enthusiastic when Lorelei or Ben want to read it.  But...I'm just a dog person pretending to think that cats are a good choice for a pet, too.  (Deep inside, horrible, dog-loving me is thinking: My dogs would give you a run for your money, Posy!)

Ok, I don't really want my weims to terrorize Posy.  She is cute and cuddly.  But she's just an alien creature for Ben and Lorelei.  And there is little to this story: "Posy!  She is...a whisker wiper, crayon swiper, playful wrangler, knitting tangler."  It just describes the cute things that this kitten does.  As a dog family, we need a little more convincing that we should really love this Posy creature.  Whatever your preference--cats or dogs, horses or snakes--it's hard to argue that the illustrations by Catherine Rayner are not pretty adorable.

If you're a cat person, feel free to rant in the comment section below.  (And check out this book, plus Linda Newbery's other cat-related books.)  If you're a dog person, feel free to give me a cyber-high five below.  (And click here to find all my reviews on dog books.  And note that I don't even have a special label for cat books!  My tastes and preferences are obvious...sorry, cat-loving book-readers out there...) 

No comments:

Post a Comment