Thursday, July 8, 2010

This Little Chick by John Lawrence

This Little Chick by John Lawrence

Rating: 5 stars

I hope that all preschool teachers know about this one.  And lots of parents, too.  But if they already knew about it, why didn't anyone let me in on the secret?  Why am I always the last to know?

We checked this out from the library about 10 days ago.  Since then, I think I've read it 20 times.  Lorelei and Ben keep gravitating towards it, separately or, even more cutely, side-by-side.  Though I don't ask (I'd love to get an answer from Ben, but he'd just say "eh!!" enthusiastically and point to the book a-GAIN), I'd love to know why.

Then again, I think it's pretty obvious:

1.  The book is huge and the pictures are loud and vivid and clear and cute.

2.  The words are simple, with a "This little chick went over the way, and went to ____ (insert animal-appropriate verb) with the ____ (insert animal here, with corresponding picture) one day.  What do you think they heard him say?"

3.  The little chick is funny!  He mimics whichever animal he is visiting that day, letting a loud "OINK!" escape from his cute little chick beak on one page and a "MOOOOOOOOOOO!" from the same cute beak on a different page and a...well, you get the idea.

4.  I think they also like it because I am a very funny book reader.  I would hire myself out.  I should volunteer at a local library for story time.  Well, maybe I'm not that funny, but I'm happy that my kids think I'm pretty funny most of the time.

5.  Lorelei and Ben found out that the New York Times rated this one of the best illustrated children's books.  They are such followers!

This book is also available as a board book, making it an excellent baby gift--to someone else or to your own baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment