Tuesday, August 3, 2010

In My Heart by Molly Bang

In My Heart by Molly Bang

Rating: 3.5 stars

This book is definitely not "traditional"--the family, as you can see on the cover, is multi-racial, and the drawings remind me of modern surreal art that, honestly, I'm not super fond of.  It's not one that my pretty conservative but still wonderful stepfather would fully appreciate, but it's not meant for his generation.

Despite the fact that I don't love, love, love this book, it is a really great book and, for some out there, will be a very important book.  After reading When Sophie Gets Angry: Really Really Angry I was pretty intrigued by Molly Bang.  So I ordered a handful of her books the following week to see what other sort of stuff she writes.  I like this one--it is worthwhile and heartfelt and special.  So definitely check it out, and let me know what you think.

This is the author's favorite book she's ever written--that's saying something right there when she's written dozens of children's books and won the Caldecott a few times.  On her website, she states that she was inspired by two situations when she wrote this book: adoptive kids who "don't come from their Mommy's bellies" and kids whose parents both work.  The book is a lullaby-like story reassuring kids that they remain in their parents' hearts, regardless of the proximity of the child and parent at the time.  And regardless of the birth parent.  It is a special, special book, and one that must comfort many adoptive children out there.

We like it for a different reason.  Lorelei is so into letters--just, literally, letters.  Lorelei will find Js in the woods when we walk the dogs, Os in her cereal and fruit...you get the idea.  She loves how Molly Bang uses images to write the letters.  I took a few pictures to show what I mean, because I don't think I'm doing the artwork justice... 

(I also am a little disappointed that the typed text is the same as that used in Fancy Nancy books.  It's just an unfortunate coincidence.  While I don't mind that whole series, this is a book of a higher caliber, and I wish I didn't think of a frilly little girl while reading this book to Lorelei and Ben.)

The other reason why I think I can't fully appreciate this book: I'm a stay-at-home mother.  I don't work.  I don't have to say good-bye to my kids each morning and reassure them that I love them, because I can tell them all day long, any day and everyday.  And, while this works for me and works for my family, it sure doesn't work for everyone!  So this book really provides a wonderful, comforting read to those families whose kids are in daycare of one sort or the other.
But it is, without a doubt, interesting and worth reading.  The artwork alone provides a different sort of image, and I love, love, love how colorful (skin and attire!) the people in the pictures are, and I love how creative those cool letters are!

No comments:

Post a Comment