A Good Day by Kevin Henkes
Rating: 5 stars
Another simple book with a simple message: bad days can turn into good ones. One by one Henkes introduces an animal that is having a not-so-hot day. A dog gets tangled up in his leash; a squirrel dropped a nut. "But then..." writes Henkes "The little white dog gets himself untangled and runs in circles through the dandelions." And of the squirrel: "He found the biggest nut ever!"
What a great thing to teach our kids: don't worry, this bad-ness will pass, and good-ness will be sure to follow (hopefully sooner rather than later!).
![]() |
| Little yellow bird lost his favorite tail feather. Little yellow bird forgot about his tail feather, and flew higher than he ever had before. |
I needed some cheering up mid-day today, and though I take full credit for making myself happy, I had some help in the form of a fairly adorable little toddler who thinks I am the funniest person in the whole world. While the big kids were totally engrossed in whoknowswhat after lunch, I turned up Louis Prima on my iPod and he and I danced like crazy to some old jazz/swing music that never fails to lighten my mood. My hair was up in a wild ponytail at the top of my head, spilling all over my face as we shimmied and scooted around. He giggled, and I smiled, dancing like goofballs. Thankfully, only the trees could see in from the windows, and I think they approved.
So, yes, like this sweet little book, my day is ending well.


No comments:
Post a Comment