Saturday, May 31, 2014

The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli

The Watermelon Seed by Greg Pizzoli

Rating: 4 stars

Crocodile and I have something in common: we both looooooove watermelon.  He chomps and slurps and bites this juicy wonderful-ness with his eyes closed, savoring every bite.  Yummmm!  I might just might do the same, thinking I am able to get in my mouth the same amount as Crocodile...

But then: He swallows a seed and totally freaks out.

He is completely convinced that there will soon be a watermelon growing in his guts.  Or vines will come out of his ears.  His stomach will stretch.  His skin will turn pink.  And he will turn into…fruit salad!

But then: He burps and the black seed pops out.  He's okay!

This is a bright, silly book sure to get a laugh the first few read-throughs.  Hopefully it'll inspire some serious watermelon eating, and maybe a watermelon seed spitting contest like my cousins and I had during the summers of my childhood.

But then: Kids these days usually eat hybrid watermelons that don't have black seeds.  Or they have one or two tiny ones that are easy to pick out.  Might there be kids out there who will pick up The Watermelon Seed and ask, "Why does that watermelon have dots all over it?"

Whatever your preference--traditional or seedless--let the watermelon eating begin!


P.S.  Ever wonder how to carve a lego out of watermelon?  Me neither, but I was impressed and amused with this watermelon-y website/blog and the instructions!

No comments:

Post a Comment