Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Strega Nona, Her Story by Tomie DePaola

Strega Nona, Her Story by Tomie DePaola

Rating: 4 stars

I grew up reading Tomie DePaola books, so it was me who pushed them a bit in the beginning. I love, love, love his drawings and can't get enough of DePaola's artwork. He makes his characters simple and cute. I'll try and focus on Strega Nona, Her Story first then babble on about all the types of books DePaola writes later in this entry. In case you're not of Italian descent, strega means witch. Strega Nona is a witch doctor from the old tradition, and her grandmother raises her with the expectation that she'll take over the practice when her grandmother retires. It is a sweet story, especially as Strega Nona learns the secret ingredient through a letter from her grandmother: Love. How sweet!

For me, these Strega Nona books are just a great way to introduce those tried-and-true parts of human nature. There's almost always a temptation for modern stuff, but the traditional wins everytime. Strega Nona is challenged by Strega Amelia, a friend whose witch ways are new-age and alluring, but her new ways just don't work as well as the old-fashioned ways. I love that.

Lorelei just loves this series. It surprises me, actually, that she does. There are a few characters surrounding Strega Nona that Lorelei loves--the faithful Bambolona and the bumbling Big Anthony (who has books of his own, which we love). You'll just have to check them out for yourself and see if your child has a quirky side like ours certainly do!

Now, stop reading here unless you want to know more about all the books that DePaola writes.

He has four categories of books for preschoolers: (He also has some chapter books that I accidentally checked out...oops, no Lorelei might be a bit precocious but I don't think she's quite ready for chapter books. I'm sure my husband would argue with me. He thinks she's ready for fifth grade the day after her 3rd birthday!)

First, his Strega Nona series. Strega Nona is the first of the series, and I do like it, but it's not my favorite. It won the Caldecott awhile ago. Our copy of Strega Nona, Her Story (one of the next in the series) is actually signed by the author himself! It was a gift from my mother, to me. So that makes it special both to me and to Lorelei (I love that she thinks it is extra special too; right now it is in her bed as she naps). Like I said before, Big Anthony has a few books of his own in this series, too. They are super cute, and are especially good for tall little boys!

Second, his autobiographical series. These are probably my favorite, with Tom and The Art Lesson and The Baby Sister leading the pack. They are all sweet and funny...reviews on those to come sooner rather than later, I hope. I really like how Lorelei can get to know an author through his books, and figure out what it takes to become one. Not that I'm pushing any particular vocation at this young age, but...

Third, his amazingly beautiful "legend" series. These are books like Tony the Baker (Lorelei's favorite) and Adelita (Mexican Cinderella story) and The Legend of the Indian Paintbrush that tell old legends, mostly from the Southwest/Mexico and Italy) with amazingly beautiful drawings. All have great morals, though some should be left for elementary age kids.

Fourth, the "other" category. There are a dozen or so books in this category, though it's the one we've explored the least. We love his wordless Pancakes for Breakfast and the word-full Bill and Pete Go Down the Nile because both are witty and (have I mentioned this?) full of great illustrations.

I am a fan!

2 comments:

  1. How wonderful that you have a signed copy of Strega Nona. That is really special! We love the Strega Nona books, and every book by Tommy DePaola that we've ever read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I heart Tomie big time, too. I still have my cherished Bafana book from my childhood.

    ReplyDelete