Sunday, October 27, 2013

I Like Old Clothes! by Mary Ann Hoberman

I Like Old Clothes! by Mary Ann Hoberman, illustrated by Patrice Barton

Rating: 4 stars

I reviewed this book for Washington Family Magazine earlier this year.  I love the story--these kids find joy in finding clothes that have had a life before them. Here's my review:

Confession: When I met my husband in 2003, I was still sporting items from the “free box” from Peace Corps Thailand, a box that held clothes cast away from volunteers heading back home.  They probably realized that, after hand washing the said item for two years and three months, it was probably better left in a third world country.  Me?  I took them back to the States and continued to wear them.

So this book, I Like Old Clothes, is right up my alley!  

The story has a great rhythm to it, a soft dance of simple words to share a good message:

When somebody grows / And gives me her clothes.I don’t say, “What those?” / And turn up my noseThe way some people do / When their clothes aren’t new.I like old clothes. / I really do.Clothes with a history, / Clothes with a mystery,Sweaters and shirts / That are brother and sisterly


To read the rest of the review, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment