Sunday, March 28, 2010

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont

I Ain't Gonna Paint No More! by Karen Beaumont, illustrated by David Catrow

Rating: 3 stars

Well, this one isn't for my twin neices, who once disappeared in my sister's basement for a few minutes, saying things like "You're my partner in crime." My sister--crazily--didn't suspect anything. They emerged, one relatively unscathed but the other's three year-old limbs were completely colored on. Completely. Her entire face, hands, and feet--anything that was not covered up with clothes--was drawn on. And her sister had done a great job filling in between the ears, I mean lines.

So this book, with the super-fun illustrations by Catrow, might not be for those kids who might think that painting themselves from head to toe is a good idea. I'm being serious here! This is your official warning for the book. If you do have kids in your life who will listen to the simple rule "Wait till your Dad is home and I'm out with my friends to paint yourselves completely." then get them this book. It is really funny, and Lorelei and Ben both think that painting your arm with ants is downright hilarious. If they get a tatoo like this in the future, I'll know which book to blame. This book is an example of fine text but incredibly illustrations. When the little painter's mother takes the paint away and hides in the closet, the entire picture is just black and white, devoid of all color because the baby picasso has been robbed of her tools. But then she creates a ladder for herself to rescue the paints and resume the mess and the bold colors and craziness continue.

Super cute. Fun to add to a gift of art supplies, which is how it landed on our very full shelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment