Monday, March 29, 2010

The Napping House by Audrey Wood

The Napping House by Audrey Wood, illustrated by Don Wood

Rating: 5 stars!

This is Ben's favorite book right now. He's reading it right now next to me. Well, "reading" is really not what he's doing exactly. He's not talking yet--just a few words like Dada and such--so he's screeching in a different way for each page, especially the page where the mouse wakes up the cat. He just loves this book! It's funny, because it was really tucked away for Lorelei's first two years, and I didn't think it was that great. But here's my second child, turning the book upside down so he can see the granny from a different angle as she breaks the bed at the end of the book. I LOVE this book, mostly because I appreciate how much Ben loves it.

This is an older one (okay, 1984 wasn't that long ago, but you get what I mean), so most of you have probably read it before. No? Then go buy it right now! For yourself! It's a poem, which I love, and it's just a simple little book without a huge moral or point or message. Maybe the message is that we should take more naps? I like that, for me AND my kids. Anyway, one by one, starting with the "snoring granny," creatures fall asleep on a rainy afternoon in "the napping house." They fall on top of each other, cozying up with each other just like we'd all like to do on a rainy afternoon, until a "wakeful flea" lands on the mouse and wakes it up, which wakes the cat up, which wakes the dog up, which wakes the child up, which wakes the granny up!

This book was a gift to me, and sort of for Lorelei, for my first baby shower. It was a book-themed event; I wonder if this choice of theme started it all? Once again, I have my big sister to thank for something. I got a zillion books--the real count was probably around 30 or 40--and most are still in tact today and still read. This one, from the lovely Amanda, is on the top of the most appreciated list.

No comments:

Post a Comment