Thursday, August 26, 2010

Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney

Llama Llama Misses Mama by Anna Dewdney

Rating: 4.5 stars

I should give it a 5 but it has the word "hate" in it.  I know, isn't that so old-fashioned of me? 

Other than that, this is one of my favorite ready-for-school books.  The short, snappy rhymes that made Anna Dewdney's other books so popular and so fantastic are back, and because the text is so quick, it sticks with kids.  I hope this line sticks with Lorelei in a few weeks: "Don't be sad, new little llama! / It's okay to miss your mama, / But don't forget-- / when day is through, / She will come right back to you. / Llama llama, please don't fuss. / Have some fun and play with us!"

After another trip to a park where Lorelei ran over to ask some big kids to play tea party with her (they declined so kindly...whew!), I'm pretty sure she'll be just fine.  But a book like this one, which introduces the whole concept of Mom's-going-to-drop-you-off-at-school-and-leave-you-with-strangers thing has a perfect little dose of "missing" in it.  I am glad for it, because I explain to Lorelei that she'll probably miss me but maybe some other kids will really, really miss their moms, and she can be a good helper and a good friend and try to cheer them up by inviting them to play and stuff.

Fingers crossed.  Three more weeks till school starts, so I'm trying my best not to fret.  But I'm so GOOD at it!

No comments:

Post a Comment