Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sumi's First Day of School Ever by Soyung Pak

Sumi's First Day of School Ever by Soyung Pak, illustrated by Joung Un Kim

Rating: 5 stars

It's 12:27 AM and here I am, blogging.  About a back-to-school book.  It's related, trust me.  Today Lorelei had another summer playdate, where all the kids, especially the new ones, are invited to the preschool playground to run their hearts out and all the parents balance chit-chatting with running after their kids (more Ben than Lorelei for me).  It was really fun and Lorelei was a super star--she walked boldly up to little trios of already-formed friendships and introduced herself and asked their age (not their name!).  I was so proud of her--how many adults find it impossible to do the same thing?

So the transition to preschool isn't going to be bad, I suspect, but it's still on my mind.  I woke up suddenly a little while ago with the heart-pounding concern that Lorelei won't like the snack that her teacher provides and will be hungry for the last hour of school.  And Lorelei is considerably less sweet when she's hungry!  But that's not the point--the point is, the first day of school is coming, and I'm trying to be as confident in my little girl as she is in her strong little self.  I think I can, I think I can, I think I can!

This book is one of the dozen or so back-to-school type books we checked out today at the library.  It doesn't exactly fit the traditional form, but it is one that encourages empathy, so it'll be a staple read in our house.  Sumi is a little girl from South Korea whose mother teachers her two lines in English before her first day of school in the U.S.: "What is your name?" and "My name is Sumi."  Understandably, the first day starts in confusion and one child (who is quickly reprimanded by a watchful teacher) sticks his tongue out at her.  She thinks that school is lonely and mean and scary.  But then the little boy apologizes, her teacher hangs up her drawing, and a little girl befriends her.  The story is told quietly and sweetly, and I love it.

As a former Peace Corps Volunteer in Thailand, with a mother who teaches English as a second language in middle school (mostly to Korean children), and with a daughter who is about to have her first day of school, ever, this book definitely strikes a chord with me.  (Thanks for the recommendation, Becky!)


P.S.  I found this neat organization that educates on the rich legacy of Korea.  Here's a link to the website's list of children's books, in age-appropriate categories.

No comments:

Post a Comment