Friday, August 13, 2010

On Mother's Lap by Ann Herbert Scott

On Mother's Lap by Ann Herbert Scott, illustrated by Glo Coalson

Rating: 3.5 stars

Early on in Lorelei's big-sister-hood we read We Share Everything! by Robert Munsch (review here).  It became our motto; if Lorelei was reluctant to share something with Ben or a friend or cousin, I would ask her: "What do we share?" She would dutifully reply: "We share everything!" without any sarcasm or eye rolling.  She really has been an amazing big sister and she truly shares everything with Ben.

The exception: my lap. 

A few weeks ago she flat refused to slide to one of my legs while I sat Indian-style (or criss-cross-apple-sauce if you're politically correct) and Ben wanted to sit with us to read.  I kept pulling her over to my left leg so he could sit on my right, but she stubbornly slid back down and told Ben to sit on the floor.  This was just the most recent episode, but one of the least fun for me because Ben retaliated by forcing his way into the middle spot, too, and then pushing his head up into my lip, giving me a blow to a soft spot on my mouth, making tears come to my eyes.  I don't raise my voice often, but I did then.  Of course it didn't help and all three of us had tears in our eyes.  I took a deep breath and suggested we start over.  We did, and they shared.  And my fat lip was just fine with some wine after they were both tucked in.

ANYWAY.  This is a sweet, quiet book where an Eskimo big brother runs to his mother's lap and they rock back and forth, back and forth.  Slowly he collects things to sit with them: Dolly, Boat, his reindeer blanket, Puppy.  From his bed, the new baby (gender not specified) looks longingly at the rockers, and the mother gently suggests that they let Baby join them, too.  The big brother is clearly not excited but doesn't squabble or talk back, and soon there are two little ones--and Dolly, Boat, the reindeer blanket and Puppy--rocking back and forth, back and forth, with their eyes closed and mouths turned upwards.  "There's always room on mother's lap," the mother whispers.

I really appreciate the story and sketches and hope that Lorelei and Ben learn just a little bit more about sharing my lap.

No comments:

Post a Comment