Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition by Carol V. Aebersold and Chanda Bell

Elf on the Shelf: A Christmas Tradition by Carol V. Aebersold and Chanda Bell, illustrated by Coë Steinwart



Rating: 3 stars

Holy mass-marketing, Batman.

I tell you what, this mother-daughter author team is making a bundle this holiday season.  It seems that I can't turn around any store or look through any catalog without seeing this book advertised, pumped up, shouted about.  So, when our family stopped off at a bookstore last weekend, I snuck away from the pack (of course, I prearranged the sneaking off...there are few unilateral decisions I make in my life anymore) to read this book.  The kids are only vaguely aware of Santa and all that jazz, but...you can't be too careful these days.

In case you've not read the book yourself, it's about an elf that sits up on a shelf (duh) and watches over the kids in the house to make sure they're being good and therefore deserving of Christmas gifts.  There are all these rules attached to the elf--You can't touch it!  You can't talk to it!  Its magic might be tainted if that happens.  The book comes with your own little elf--I think his name is Fisbee but you can give him another name if you like (without any tainted magic). 

Honestly, I find the mass-marketing a bit annoying.  (Their website is so high-fallutin'...maybe I should be impressed but MAN they have put a lot of money into this!)  The fact that the sub-title is "A Christmas Tradition" rubs me the wrong way--here is a company telling ME what traditions MY family should have?!  And, as I stated above, we haven't once said to Lorelei and Ben that they need to be nice or else they won't get any gifts this Christmas.  I am sure that day will come, but...it's not here yet.

But then I went to said high-fallutin' website and read the story of the authors.  Aebersold explains that she grew up with this tradition, with an elf on her family's shelf, and soon other members of the family had elves on their shelf, and it really helped set the tone for Christmas--a quiet, subtle reminder rather than an angry, threatening one (probably said in a tired tone of voice from an over tired parent).  It definitely helped me become less annoyed with this book because the person shoving the tradition towards my family seemed pretty sweet and innocent...but not completely sold.

Still, this book might find its way onto your shelf.  Along with that Fisbee guy.  Am curious if it works, so let me know your feedback, especially if your kids dig it.  I might have to change my tune and buy one on discount after the holidays for next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment