Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha

Trashy Town by Andrea Zimmerman and David Clemesha, illustrated by Dan Yaccarino

Rating: 5 stars

When my husband read this book to the kids, he first asked me: "Is Christina Aguilara in this book?"  In case you're wondering, no.  I always love exchanging some grown up quips about books such as these...it keeps me chuckling on the inside.  (Like the time in Thailand a coworker asked me how to say beetle in English after she showed me one she had stashed in her refrigerator for breakfast the next day.  "Inedible," I said.)

ANYWAY!

Zimmerman and Clemesha ROCK at books for little boys (and Lorelei likes their books, too, especially this one).  This has a very similar feel to it as Dig! which is another of our all-time favorites of theirs.  In this book, Mr. Gilly drives around "trashy town" to pick up trash.  He goes to the school, the fire station, the park, etc, and loads it up.  After he empties the cans into his truck, you get to read the catchy refrain: "Dump it in, smash it down, drive around the Trashy Town!  Is the trash truck full yet?  NO!  Mr. Gilly drives on."  He collects trash until his truck is full, then dumps it out and heads home.  When he gets home, he takes off his gloves and realizes there's only one more thing to clean up--himself!  He goes to take a bath.

This is a super cute book (not too dirty!) with fantastic, unique illustrations by Dan Yaccarino, someone we'll be checking out in the next few weeks thanks to a suggestion to my friend Beth, whose kids are a few years older than our kids.  I hear we'll be pleased with what we read!

1 comment: