Sunday, July 1, 2012

Farming by Gail Gibbons

Farming by Gail Gibbons

Rating: 5 stars

Gail Gibbons throws in a lot of information into her books, sometimes a bit too much, but this one is a GREAT introduction for little ones.  Here's a picture-laden book about farming: all the types of farms there are, and what happens on a farm.  Gibbons divides the books up into seasons, and draws all the different things that happen in each season on a farm, and then sketches the jobs that have got to be done in each season.

I love it!  It's a great book to carry along with you if you're heading to a farm for the day.  We frequent Frying Pan Park, though it doesn't count as a working farm.  We love Butler's Orchard for fruit and vegetables, too.  I like to have a book like this when we go to places like these so that my kids can understand the big picture at a nice, slow pace--one page at a time, they turn to the next page when they're ready.

Confession: I'm beginning to think that I might like to be a small-scale farmer in some future phase of my life.  My husband thinks I'm nuts.  He might be right, but...  I'm a girl with a lot of energy, a bunch of patience, and a passion for doing anything and everything outdoors.

So I've already started to brainwash my kids so that they can help me out with the chores and stuff.  And Lorelei can convince my husband that this venture is brilliant.  If it were up to me, we'd go to some working farm for the summer.  This appeals to me for so many reasons, including:

  1. The "noise" (all that silly competition for the kids, the keepin' up with the Jones for us) from our everyday life would decrease, possibly disappear for a little while completely.
  2. My kids would see--not just read about--the origin of their food.
  3. They'd really know the definition of chores and learn how to work--I'm all about kids pitching in, regardless of their age.  "Everybody does their part," I say.
  4. A change of scenery for any reason is a good thing.  I'm an Army brat, so I'm sorta restless by nature anyway.
  5. I know they'd love it.  Me, too.

But since I can't snap my fingers and transport us to a working farm...at least not just yet...  I'll have to make do and go to farms around our area and garden as much as I can.  And dream.  And imagine myself in this book.

1 comment:

  1. I will forget to mention this in a phone conversation, but I know you will read it here. Maybe next summer sign up for a farming co-op or CSA. Several farms (including our beloved Goat Lady Dairy) have them here and they're super cool! love ya!

    ReplyDelete