Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton

Barnyard Dance by Sandra Boynton

Rating: 4.5 stars

5:14 AM.  Kiefer wakes, not making the happiest of sounds, but I've learned that crossing my fingers and hoping he goes back to sleep actually does not work.  One day my children will sleep in.  I can't wait until they sleep in but have to get up for practice or school or something, and the tables will be turned--I will rouse THEM from their peaceful slumber.  Heh, heh, heh...

Kiefer, and his book basket.
5:20 AM.  I go into his cozy green room, lift him out of his crib and give him a kiss, take his sleep sack off, and plop him down on the rocking chair that I've had in all three kids' rooms.  I pile up his books next to him and he pages through them in his own way.  Upside down, two pages at a time.  He babbles loudly, "reading" each one.  I get him dressed as he moves up and down the chair, from book to book, more awake than I.  We sit here for 5-10 minutes, depending on how interested in the books he is, or how quickly he goes from babbling to screeching.

5:42 AM. Kiefer is kicking back with his Kix as I type.

We are not huge Sandra Boynton fans here, not for any particular reason.  The few books we have of hers are pretty cute, so I should probably check some out for Kiefer from the library.  Barnyard Dance I like because you could easily get up and dance to it: "Hop with the bunny / Dance with the duck / Spin with the chickens now / Cluck, cluck, cluck!"  I'd twirl around with him, but he's just learning to walk.  I know it's sort of an upbeat song for naptime and bedtime, but I'd much rather put him in bed with a smile on his face.

6:03 AM.  Ben calls me from the top of the stairs.  His morning wrestling match with his pajamas isn't working well for him right now, and he's all tangled up in an impressive way.

6:37 AM.  Lorelei is woken up, but it'll take her 40 minutes more to get downstairs for breakfast, and she's not even dressed.  This does not bode well for her teenage years.

7:13 AM.  Clearly I have more things to do than blog.  Off to make French toast, with Ray LaMontagne's "You are the Best Thing" playing in the background.

(Good morning.)

1 comment:

  1. I would love a morning with you, your kids, me G and Ray in your kitchen! You are the best thing :)

    ReplyDelete