Sunday, June 3, 2012

I Love Bugs! by Emma Dodd

I Love Bugs! by Emma Dodd

Rating: 4 stars

Somehow, these pictures seem to jump out at me.  Usually that's a good thing, but with a book on bugs, I sorta want to grab a flyswatter and swat the mosquitoes away so they don't bite me.  I told this to Ben, and now he tries to hit the bugs as I turn the page.  Hmmm.  Maybe I should have kept that observation to myself...

This is a basic preschooler book, but a good one.  It's a great one to introduce the whole concept of what my Thai friends would call "same-same-different," or comparison.  On all the pages are bugs, but they are so unique!  So different!  So special!  What a wonderful little lesson for our kids and their budding uniqueness in their little preschool pools of should-we-conform-or-not-ness.  (Did that sentence make sense at all?  I'm keeping it...hoping you figure it out.)

"Yes, I love all bugs!  Hope and fly and crawl bugs."
One page is dedicated to flying and fluttering bugs, another to flying and buzzing bugs, and still another to flying and whiny-buzzing bugs.  (Not sure I get the difference between simply buzzing and whiny-buzzing, but I love that my kids might pause to listen hard--really hard!!--to the sounds that bugs make as they fly.)

A very cute book, worth checking out very soon.  Don't be afraid of the centipede on page six...I am pretty sure it won't crawl off the page and onto your arm...!


No comments:

Post a Comment