Thursday, November 15, 2012

Splat Says Thank You! by Rob Scotton

Splat Says Thank You! by Rob Scotton

Rating: 5 stars

This book is so up my alley.

Splat wants to cheer up his buddy, Seymour, because Seymour is sick.  So he decides to make a Thank You Book, to thank Seymour for the many things he's done for Splat over the years of their friendship.  His aim is to make Seymour smile.  That's it, that's all.

The examples are cute and specific: Thanks for encouraging me to try out for the school play when I was scared.  Thanks for rescuing me when I got stuck in a tree.  Thanks for sneaking in a flashlight to my room so I could read my book under the covers.

In the end, of course, Seymour is smiling.

We've done a few Get Well Books in our house, for friends who are sick.  Lorelei and Ben will think of things that cheer them up--sometimes just pictures of the sun and rainbows, other times photos of them laughing.  And just today was Ben's teacher's birthday, so I encouraged all the parents to send in home-made, heart-warming notes and messages to her as a little surprise.  There is nothing like the rambling thoughts of a 4 year old: "I love her because she plays with me and also helps me clean up the toys in the classroom and gives me snack when Mrs Cameron isn't there and lets me have more juice."  Praise the days before run-on sentences exist in these little minds!

A thank you book is definitely a great idea for this time of year, to challenge kids to think of those things for which they are thankful.  And, with this thinking, to keep "being thankful" in the forefront of their little minds.  I'd love to see the books Lorelei and Ben would create for each other...

Anyway, we say thanks and make people smile a bunch but we could and should do it even more.  Because what's life all about besides making sure the people you love feel appreciated and loved, and seeing their big smiles?

This is our first book with Splat the Cat, but we already want more of him!  It was definitely a good introduction, sweet and silly, cute and meaningful.  That makes a great book, according to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment