Monday, November 5, 2012

The First Thanksgiving: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Kathryn Lynn Davis


The First Thanksgiving: A Lift-the-Flap Book by Kathryn Lynn Davis

Rating: 5 cooperative stars

My blog entries have been a bit long lately, so I'm going to keep this short and sweet, just like this book for the littlest of little readers.

This is the best Thanksgiving book I've found that explains the holiday in simple, understandable (and rhyming!) words.  The story focuses on the arrival of the Pilgrims, and the cooperation between them and the Native Americans who welcomed them--how the Native Americans taught the Pilgrims how to survive in the New World.  And then, to celebrate their new friendship, they had a big feast together.

These are the people who showed them how
To fish and hunt and sow and plow.
That's it, not much more to it, except for the ever-popular lifting of flaps that kids (even 5- or 6-year olds) love.  This silly little addition actually serves a purpose: to pull little kids into books, to get them interested, to get them to sit and listen a little while longer.  And the images hiding under these flaps are pretty darn cute--my favorite is when the empty fishing lines turn into a line with a nice-sized catch.

This is a very cute for all those out there looking for a book for their grandchild or child's first or second Thanksgiving...


P.S.  I realize that on the cover of the book the author is "Nancy Davis" and I've written Kathryn Lynn Davis, as I have found it many times online.  I'm confused, too...!

No comments:

Post a Comment