Monday, June 28, 2010

Alice the Fairy by David Shannon

Alice the Fairy by David Shannon

Rating: 4 stars

I think that there are probably a bunch of parents who might resent Alice a little.  She's a funny little girl who pretends she's a fairy--a temporary one, as she's not yet passed the tests required to be a permanent one--who thinks she has magical powers and uses them in her own home.  I must admit that I resent Alice a little because Lorelei has called me the same thing that Alice calls her mother: the wicked duchess. 

Humph.

Alice turns her dad into a horse and turns her dad's cookies into her own (that's my favorite line in the book).  She wants to turn her bath into a big, bouncy pile of Jello and make her dog sit on the ceiling instead of the floor.  I know that, like Lorelei has, there are a lot of little girls out there who have tried to make these things happen in their own homes.  Hopefully they've not succeeded, or else David Shannon will find his book banned!

Lorelei and Ben LOVE this book.  They are captivated by it and love the crazy illustrations.  Like I said in an earlier post that compared David Shannon's books to another, his illustrations are messy and magical, even the ones that aren't about fairies.  His stories are exactly what they wish would happen in their lives.  All of the books we've read by him are told from the child's perspective, which is fun for kids.  I must admit that the wicked Duchesses out there might agree with me that sometimes this is less amusing for the parents!

No comments:

Post a Comment