Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dandelion by Don Freeman

Dandelion by Don Freeman

Rating: 5 stars

Recently, this book was available only for $500 or $700. While I have fond memories of this book, I would not pay that much for it...at least I don't think I would... Instead, my kids and I borrow it from the library a few times a year and I remember happily how much I loved it as a kid. I also just saw that this book is reissued and available through a bunch of retailers, including Target, for a much better price: $6.99. I'm glad that Dandelion will be a favorite lion for kids of today's generation, too!

I'm not sure why Corduroy is considered Don Freeman's best work.  Sure, Corduroy is a cute little bear that takes a nice imaginary hike through the department store and finds his way to a little girl's heart.  But what's the point?  Dandelion has such a wonderful point: Be yourself!  Wouldn't the world be such a different place if kids learned that at age 3, rather than age 30, or 40, or 50?

In case you're not familiar with the book or in case you've not read it in a few decades, Dandelion is a dapper little lion who gets a classy invitation to a "taffy and tea" party from his pal, Jennifer Giraffe.  He's so excited about the party that he gets his hair done in a spiffy new style (super curly, check out the picture) and buys a dapper new outfit to match.  He looks so unlike himself that Jennifer Giraffe doesn't recognize him and shuts the door in his face upon his arrival.  After a short and tumultuous rain storm that unfurls his curls, soaks his sweater, and wilts his first bouquet of dandelions, he tries again.  He finds a new bouquet of dandelions, knocks on the door, and laughs heartily at himself (another great lesson within the book) when Jennifer tells him of the "silly looking lion" that knocked on his door earlier.

Lorelei loves this book, which makes me happy because I loved this book as a child.  It is such a simple story, but has a sweet message and great illustrations, too.  A winner of a book!

No comments:

Post a Comment