Monday, June 21, 2010

Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae

Giraffes Can't Dance by Giles Andreae, illustrated by Guy Parker-Rees

Rating: 5 stars

I think that within every children's library there should be a couple of books that are fail-proof giggle-makers or pick-me-uppers.  They should be reserved for those afternoons or late mornings...or even early mornings!...when everyone just needs a good laugh.  The Baby Beebee Bird is one of my family's personal favorites when a mood needs to be lifted, but Giraffes Can't Dance is also in that category.  I'm always looking for more books that make my kids giggle and me care less about the mess around my house--please suggest a few to our little family!

It's like "Lucky" by Jason Mraz; you can't help but smile or tap your foot.  Maybe you don't have days where bedtime seems like two light years away...

So here's the gist of the book: Gerald the giraffe wants to participate in a jungle dance-off but he's clumsy with four left feet.  Everybody laughs at his feeble attempts, so he shuffles away feeling low as can be.  And then he meets a cricket that chirps some wise words: "Sometimes when you're different, you just need a different song!"  So he listens to the music from the jungle itself--the leaves, the trees, the birds, the bugs--and becomes the best dancer of them all.  And he doesn't gloat about it--he's just finally happy with himself.  I like that part best.

This is a great, great read-aloud book that totally lifts me up from almost any pity party I am silly enough to dwell in for more than 4.7 minutes. 

3 comments:

  1. We've read this one regularly for four years! It's got such a great rhythm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love the Jason Mraz comparison. Now I won't miss it. Not that your recommendation wasn't enough...it's just that I appreciate his skillful whimsy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have an extra copy--will send it up to E & W sometime soon! "Skillful whimsy"...it's little phrases like that that make one a writer. ;)

    ReplyDelete