Sunday, June 6, 2010

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

My Friend Rabbit by Eric Rohmann

Rating: 5 trouble-making stars

When I started this whole let's-read-every-library-book-known-to-mankind thing, I thought that Caldecott books were It.  I was sure that those Wise Ones who sat on this committee knew all there was to know about children's books.  Of course, it was my mother who pointed out that the award wasn't even for the best book, just the best illustrations.  That's a very different thing.  I'm currently on the hunt for other awards out there to help me find really good and interesting books for our little family to read and evaluate...let me know if you know an award like this.

Anyway, I was pretty much down on Caldecott, especially after checking out the absolutely stunning The Lion and the Mouse last week.  The cover was so captivating and all of the pictures quieted even chatty Lorelei...we were smitten with the illustrations.  But we didn't love it.  It's just not a book for us, though plenty of people have purchased it and Jerry Pinkney is loving the publicity his book is getting from adults.  But as for my kids, they did love My Friend Rabbit despite the slightly sordid fact that it is a Caldecott winner as well. 

The book starts out with "My friend rabbit means well..." and a picture of a little Mouse flying through the air in his little airplane until Whump! he gets stuck in a tree.  Rabbit says, "Don't worry, Mouse, I've got an idea!" and runs out of the picture.  Mouse looks worried.  And we soon find out why.  Rabbit drags in an elephant.  Then a rhino.  Then an alligator with a squirrel on top.  Then he carries in with super-rabbit strength a hippo.  He stacks up all these animals one on top of the other in a hilarious long picture that requires the reader to turn the book sideways (always a hit in our house) to see.  Of course, the animals lose their balance and fall into one giant heap, which caused a giggle-fest everytime in our kitchen when we read it.  All the animals look like they're going to jump poor Rabbit, but Mouse flies his airplane to rescue his friend.  When Rabbit hugs him in appreciation, he puts his paws over Mouse's eyes and Mouse squeals "Rabbit!  I can't see!  Stop hugging me!"  And BAM! the airplane gets stuck in a tree.  Again. 

This is a delightful book with incredible pictures.  With minimal words, the animals are strong and clear and full of personality.  And I love, love, love the message of the book: That we should love our friends despite their shortcomings.  At least that's what our family took from this winner of a book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment