Monday, May 21, 2012

Pretty Princess Pig by Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple, illustrated by Sam Williams

Pretty Princess Pig by Jane Yolen and Heidi E. Y. Stemple, illustrated by Sam Williams

Rating: 3.5 stars

Well, we know what sells to little girls--anything pink, anything with a princess, and anything that glitters.  Look at the cover of this and you've got all three.  Smart!  I guess I shouldn't judge a book by its cover, but it's hard not to roll my eyes at such an obvious marketing choice.  I wasn't excited to read this, but...was pleasantly surprised.

Princess Pig decides to have a tea party for her friends, and does her best to get her house ready for her guests.  She does everything but makes a giant mess in the meantime, leaving both the house and herself a mess when her friends arrive.  Of course they don't care--they are, after all, her good friends who don't even see the mess.

Um...can I just say I've been there?  More than once?  Luckily my friends don't really care either.  They don't mind if my kitchen is messy (especially if the mess is from baking) or if I clean while I chit-chat with them.  Bless them!

A fine book, nothing over the top special but nothing deserving of my initial eye-rolling, either.  Little girls will love it, and as long as they clean up when their mothers ask them to clean up, what's the harm in the message that friends accept you regardless of your appearance?

No comments:

Post a Comment