Sunday, May 20, 2012

The Sniffles for Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton

The Sniffles for Bear by Bonny Becker, illustrated by Kady MacDonald Denton

Rating: 2 stars

I don't often review books that aren't that great.  There are so many great ones, why waste my time pointing out the not-so-awesome ones?  (And I think I say that every time.)  But this one's flaws are downright funny, so I thought I'd share...

This silly illustration saved the book a bit...
The book starts off fine...  Bear is sick, and Mouse wants to help him feel better.  Bear breaks out all the drama and insists to Mouse that he is dying.  As I read this to Lorelei, I found myself cringing--I don't really want to encourage drama like this.  I have little patience for making something a bigger deal than it is.  I've been known to say, "Just wash it off in the creek!" when someone cuts themselves while playing in our woods.  Sympathy?  Um, I don't have a ton of it.

Mouse tries to cheer up Bear in a number of ways, but grumpy Bear will have none of it, and rudely cuts down Mouse's efforts.  In fact, Bear is so insistent on his impending death that he asks Mouse to help him write his will.

Um...excuse me?  Now I'm explaining what a will is to my 5 year old?  How is this appropriate?  Luckily, I actually didn't have to explain why Bear was bequeathing his roller skates, wash bucket, and teakettle.  Even though "bequeath" is such a fun word...

This book was put back in the library bag after one reading.  I'd like my kids to stay in their bubble of ignorance on everything related to death for as long as possible, thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment