Thursday, December 20, 2012

Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show by Michael Buckley

 Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show by Michael Buckley, illustrated by Dan Santat

Rating: 4 stars

I was just saying the other day in my review of It's Christmas, David! that I don't want to provide my trio--especially the two boys of that pack--extra ideas of how to be mischievous.  They come up with enough ways to walk the line between fun and stupid!  And I must take a moment of silence when I realize that, at age 4 and 19 months, they are just getting warmed up!  Yikes. 

And then I check out Kel Gilligan's Daredevil Stunt Show just because I found it on the goodreads.com Best of 2012 list.  Hmm.  Maybe I am still learning to walk the line between fun and stupid...?  But this book is a riot, in mostly appropriate ways.

Kel Gilligan is a three-ish-year-old daredevil and takes his daredevil-ness very seriously, though the stunts he performs would be approved by parents (or at least, me).  He puts his life at risk eating healthy food, he throws caution to the wind and poops on the potty, he attempts to get dressed all by himself, nearly fails to let his mom finish a phone conversation uninterrupted, and tests his nerve underwater during bath time.
That stunt took a little longer than I expected.
I should have brought a coloring book or something.

He knows no fear!

The sarcasm is almost too much for me and Kel's "mean faces" that I force Ben to soften in his own face make this a borrow-from-the-library book rather than one that Ben (and Lorelei and Kiefer) can look at again and again and again.  But Dan Santat's illustrations are hilarious--without question, laugh-out-loud funny!

Hopefully when they perform these daredevil stunts and others, our kids will at least wear a helmet!

No comments:

Post a Comment