Friday, July 9, 2010

Fireman Small - Fire Down Below! by Wong Herbert Yee

Fireman Small - Fire Down Below! by Wong Herbert Yee

Rating: 4 stars

There are a lot of fireman-crazy boys out there.  And girls, too.  This is a sequel to Fireman Small (review here), which we liked.  This one looks a little frightening.  I wasn't shaking in my boots, but check out the cover--Fireman Small looks a bit intimidated with the rain pouring over him and the fire coming up from below.  I actually turned it down a few times at the library because it looked a little scary.

But we went for it and got it anyway.  We aren't afraid of a book!

It's really good.  Not fantastic, I've-gotta-buy-this-now, but good.  And it's really a good one to write down and check out during fire prevention week (October--make sure to visit your local fire station!).  It's a nice poem--again, like with the original Fireman Small book, I can't seem to get the beat just right, which annoys me a little--and longer than the first, for better or for worse.  But, through the poem and illustrations, he teaches how to crawl under the smoke, breathe through a wet towel, and to stop, drop, and roll.  And all of this is done through the story, so you can focus on it, or not. 
Here's an additional picture of me reading this book to a fireman-crazy boy, almost-birthday-boy G.  (I can't help but laugh as the kids are kind of crawling over me to get to the book, and the paparazzi, a.k.a. Stacey, is taking photos the whole time.)  His mom is my very best friend since first grade (she listened to my long-winded book report on the Bobbsey Twins umpteen years ago), and now our kids are friends.  Life is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment