Sunday, July 25, 2010

Not All Princesses Dress in Pink by Jane Yolen and E.Y. Stemple

Not All Princesses Dress in Pink by Jane Yolen and E.Y. Stemple, illustrated by Anne-Sophie Languetin

Rating: 4.5 stars

Lorelei and I went for a "girls outing" today to Barnes and Noble.  I had seen this book a few days before, on my morning out--I spent two hours of it at the bookstore, and part of that in the children's section.  That's when I found this book.  I'm not a huge Jane Yolen fan (though she's hailed as the "Hans Christian Anderson" of America), but this one I really liked.

Because it's the anti-princess princess book!  And that's why I really do love it.

Each page shows a different girl or group of girls doing something tomboy-ish or something that's traditionally ungirly.  They swap fancy shoes for soccer cleats or use power tools to build boats or cars.  The text is a long, fun poem with lines like: "Some princesses wear their jewels / while fixing things with power tools."  The last page is a dance party, where all the princesses bust their moves on the dance floor, including one that hip-hops in overalls.  Ha!  Love it!  And in all the beautiful pages, all of the anti-princesses wear sparkling crowns.

I nearly shoved the book onto Lorelei, but she did end up choosing the book when I asked her what she'd like me to read to her.  Of course, it was a) only after reading the requisite Dora book (ugh) and the other princess book I found by Julie Andrews, The Very Fairy Princess, b) because it was a princess book that she wanted to read it.  She listened dutifully and then went back to playing with the train table.  I asked her if she liked it and she said, "Not really.  Princesses do wear pink, you know."

Sigh.  The princess marketing blitz has already seeped into my sweet 3 year old.  I will keep fighting back!  I will win!  I will win!

No comments:

Post a Comment