Thursday, July 8, 2010

Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle

Little Blue Truck by Alice Schertle, illustrated by Jill McElmurry

Rating: 5 beep! beep! beep! stars

The word delightful is pretty overused when it comes to childrens' books.  But sometimes, it just fits.  It's the main word that comes to mind when I think of this book.  It's delightful to read aloud, it's delightful to listen to, and it's a delightful message overall.

Delightful, delightful, delightful!

I got it out of my system now, so I can get back to writing.

Over a year ago when Ben was just six months old or something around that--with the second you round up, starting a few weeks after birth--I felt a little badly that all he got was hand-me-downs.  His onesies were already stained, some of his blankets were pink, and all his books were already worn.  So we were at a bookstore and I decided to buy a few "baby boy" books.  I came across this one.  Jackpot!

This is a fun poem with lots of farm animals and a cool truck, all of which make sounds like Oink and Neigh and Beep--it makes Ben happy every time we read it.  They are speaking his language!  It is so fun to read aloud.  Oh, and I've not even gotten to the storyline: there's a good message plainly hidden in the words and the illustrations (which are super delightful...oops, I said it again). 

Little Blue is a friendly truck that beeps to everyone he passes.  Then we meet the dump truck, which "doesn't have time to pass the day / with every duck along the way." Then the dump gets stuck in the mud, and no one responds when he honks his important, busy, and frightened horn.  But Little Blue tries to push him out, of course, but then gets stuck himself.  And everyone responds to his "Beep!  Beep!  Beep! / I'm stuck, I'm stuck!" call of distress.  After all the animals come to the rescue, the dump truck sees "that a lot depends / on the helping hand / of a few good friends."

Little Blue doesn't gloat or say I told you so (how mature of him!); he just offers all his animal friends a ride home.

This is a wonderful, wonderful book.  I am reminded of it because the sequel just came out...a review of Little Blue Truck Leads the Way is coming soon!  I know you'll be on the edge of your seats, my imaginary friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment